Connor Johnson speaking on 1st Timothy 3:15-16. Connor leaves on Monday after 4 years in Eugene as a Duck (sco’Ducks) to take a job as the Middle School Ministries Director at Calvary Community Church in Westlake California. Before leaving Connor wanted to remind us of the three titles Paul gives us as believes; members of the Household of God, that He is living and active in our lives, and that we are to be Pillars of Truth.
Title given to you
- I watched video of a husband coming home from war. He sees his wife and she surprises him telling him that he is going to be a father. He went from being a solider and husband to being a solider, husband and father.
- My brother Thomas proposed to his girlfriend and than visited her brother and knighted him as a groomsmen in their wedding and then as his brother. He went from his girlfriend bother to his groomsmen’s and brother.
- These titles are meaningful and hold great significance in our lives.
1 Timothy 3:15-16
“15 if I delay, you may know how one out to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth. 16 Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.”
I want you to know how to behave in his Household!
- But for you to know not to behave, you need to know who you are. That’s what Paul is doing for us now!
- Paul is writing this letter to Timothy with similar instructions we have seen in Jude.
- He tells Timothy to stay in Ephesus because the church there is being attacked from within, by false teachers who have taken and perverted the gospel of grace.
- Jude has told us to contend for the faith, and 1 Timothy tells us to fight the good fight of the faith.
- We have walked through how Jude gives the believers a title again and again, and that title is beloved. Worthy of being loved.
- Paul now gives us three other titles that describe those who have come together and put their faith in Jesus.
Household of God
- Ephesians 2:19 – “So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God”
- He has taken you from alien to accepted, from worthless to welcomed, from loner to loved, from sinner to saint, he has taken you in.
- Because of Christ’s love for you, you are not longer left alone to hopelessly dig out of a hole that you will always be stuck in.
- Sin has entrapped, snared, and slaved you into its deceiving, prideful, and abusive hands that stink with false pleasure. . . and now you have all gone from the outside to a household on the inside.
- This is why “clicks” in this group shouldn’t be a thing. It shouldn’t be that you only hang out with your small group, or football guys with football guys or band kids with band kids, or just one high school group hanging with the same group.
- The only thing that everyone here has in common is that you were once sinners stuck on the outside, and when Christ spilled his precious blood on the cross, he brought you in, if you have confessed with your mouth that Jesus is lord and believed in your heart God raised him from the dead then you will be saved, and now you are welcome to His household.
- But its not just a household with believers.
- Next, Paul calls the body of Christ a Church of the living God!.
Church of the living God
- God has made himself so accessible to me and to you. Not only do we have conversations with each other in this household, but we know that God is living here with us, and is active.
- Jesus is not just a man who died and stayed in the grave, Jesus is God who then rose from the grave! He is living!
- He did not ascend to heaven to leave us to figure it out, but he sent his Holy Spirit that dwells within us! Where two or three gather in HIs name, Jesus is present!
- He is alive, well, active and moving!
- It doesn’t stop there. Jesus yearns for your relationship with him. He is so accessible through prayer and he just is waiting for you to talk to him.
- God loves to listen to our prayers. The wonderful thing is, He has already spoken to us!
- Hebrews 4:12 says “For the word of God is living an active, sharper than any double edged sword. It penetrates, even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart”
- That is why we hold this to such a high esteem!
- God’s Word is living and active, thats why we have bible study, its why we have bible 316, its why on every Wednesday we open up his Word and listen to what it says
- Not only is God living and active in our lives, but His Word is living an active in our life.
- But Paul hasn’t stopped there, he then calls the church a Pillar and Buttress of the truth.
Pillar and Buttress of the Truth
- This summer I had the opportunity to study abroad. one place that we went to was Rome. In Rome my friends told me I had to go to the Roman forum pillars.
- These Pillars were cool, but it was amazing imagining how massive and grand the buildings that these pillars held up.
- Pillar bring vertical stability and buttress bring horizontal stability to a building.
- And this is the last title given to the church by Paul – a Pillar of truth.
- I think its easy for us to understand being in Gods household. That makes sense to us because its easy.
- I can say this because I’ve done it, but its so easy to be welcomed into God’s household, and then just take a spiritual nap. You know like spiritually just kick back.
- God hasn’t brought you from the streets and into his house, and then into the church of a living God just so you can take a spiritual nap. He has not brought you into his house for your comfort, he has brought you into his house for His glory, His honor, and both God’s pleasure and yours.
- This should call us into action! He has not saved you from your sin and rebellion just to save you. He has saved you and he doesn’t ask us to be a pillar of truth, he puts a title on us to be a pillar of truth.
- In verse 16, Paul summarizes the gospel and says, “He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory”
- Christ stepped down from heaven, lived a perfect life, was crucified for our sins, defeated death, rose to life, welcomed us into His household and puts the title on us as pillars of truth.
- Lets pray.