This week we continued our sermon series on living like Christ by talking about choice. Please read below to learn more.
Live Like Christ Part 5
- Love does not insist on its own way.
- Look at Hosea. 1:2-3
- Hosea knew that Marriage was suppose to be death-to-us-part. He was entering into a covenant with a woman that he would have to support, provide, and care for.
- Hosea would have read Proverbs 31:10 “ An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. 11 The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. 12 She does him good, and not harm,all the days of her life.
- And here is God asking him that his excellent wife would be a prostitute!!!
- Could you imagine Hosea going home and telling his family members who his Fiancé was? How about his friends?
- I am sure they tried to convince him otherwise? There were better women out there but this was the woman that Hosea married.
- He married a person that everyone knew wouldn’t be faithful and in Chapter 3 we see it play out that way.
- Hosea 3:1 And the LORD said to me, x“Go again, love a woman who is loved by another man and is an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the children of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love cakes of raisins.” 2 So I bought her for fifteen shekels of silver and a homer and a lethech of barley.
- Hosea paid the price to get her back. Even though she did not ask for it he did it anyways because of his covenant he had made to her.
- Yet through all of this he could not change her will. The choice was still hers.
- This is the first thing that we see: God doesn’t mandate he offers a choice.
- You can choose life, choose whom you will serve, and choose to walk with Him. Or not.
- God doesn’t force us to do anything once we enter into the covenant of salvation he will always keep up with his end of the bargain irregardless of how we respond. This is a huge blessing but also makes me sad.
- My savior that has died for my sins, showered me with grace, thinks about me every day, loves me unconditionally, and loves being with me yet I find it hard to spend time with.
- Why can’t he just make me do it? Ever asked yourself that?
- The answer is that love is a choice.
- God loved us and he chose us!
- Ephesians 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[b] for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
- God so loved the world that he chose to lay down His life for us. We get to respond by choosing Him!
- He isn’t going to force us to walk with Him. He isn’t going to force us to get to know Him past being our Savior. He isn’t going to force us to be in community with other believers. He leaves that up to us.
- It is heartbreaking again that most people just don’t make that choice.
- Hosea 11:7 “ My people are bent on turning away from me,and though they call out to the Most High, he shall not raise them up at all.”
- We have to decide that we are all in. He wont mandate it but he does ask us to choose Him.