This week we continued our sermon series on living like Christ by talking about hope. Please read below to learn more
Live Like Christ Part 4
- Love hopes all things therefore God hopes all things.
- Look at Gen. 22:1-8
- We see here that Abraham walked in obedience. He heard from the Lord, was willing to be used by him, and walked in obedience. Yet in verse 8 we see something else that is special: He had great hope!
- Obedience got him to the mountain but hope got him up!
- Hope is a behavior of Christ.
- The word means to anticipate with great pleasure!
- Abraham walked in obedience but he also had great hope in Christ.
- Look at Hebrews 11. It starts in verse 8 talking about Abraham and his obedience to Christ. Yet quickly in verse 9 it is turned into by faith, not just obedience. This means we have to look at what faith is. Which we can in verse 1:
- Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. There is that word hope again!
- Abraham mixed obedience with hope and the outcome is great faith!
- He saw circumstances as an opportunity to see God’s glory where others may have seen only the impossible.
- Look at verse 17: “ By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, 18 of whom it was said, “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” 19 He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back.
- He was going to be obedient but he also knew that God was able to either keep his son alive or raise him back from the dead. What great hope!!!!
- So the question that we have to ask ourselves is this: do we live with this same measure of hope? Do we only see the impossible, unattainable, problems, obstacles, or do we see what God can do, who He truly is, and what He is doing?
- Now this isn’t simply believing in a better life that then leads to a better one. God is not a genie in a bottle. What this means is what Paul was saying in Romans chapter 5.
- Look at Romans 5: 1-5: “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.”
- The hope we have in Christ is this: that no matter what we go through He has a plan to bring us closer to Him.
- Abraham knew this. Essentially what he was saying was, “ hey, God has got this. He can raise my boy from the dead, he can provide a substitute or he has something else up His sleeve!”
- He was anticipating with great pleasure!
- Look at 1 Peter 1: “ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
- We were born into a living hope!
- We get to walk in that hope today. Which means to change our behavior to one that speaks out of hope. Anticipate with great pleasure how God is going to show up in your life today!